May is Foster Care Month!
Families Helping Families of Iowa
Foster Care Facts
“We are dedicated to helping children in our community. The statistics for Cedar Rapids and Iowa are astounding!
Not everyone is called to be a foster parent, but we are all called to care for the 0rphaned:
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction….James 1:27
- Average number of children in family foster care in CR area: Over 900 children
- Average number of children in family foster care in Iowa: Over 5,200 children
- The need for foster families currently ranks among the most pressing needs in the child welfare system as nearly every community in the nation has a shortage of foster care families.
- More than 500,000 children in the United States are currently in foster care.
- Over 60% of children adopted from the foster care system are adopted by foster families.
- About 20,000 youth leave care (or, “age out” after the age of 18) every year without the means to go to college or a family to help and support them.
- 40% of youth in foster care are teens, many of who need families.
With guidance and support from a caring adult, children and youth in family foster care are capable of realizing their fullest human potential.”
Visit the Families Helping Families of Iowa website today to see the various ways you can help, support and encourage local children, foster families and those advocating for them.